Friday, November 20, 2009

Week 12 Prompt C --Recipe for a Friend

The recipe for my best friend starts with kindness.  She has never been rude to me about anything, ever.  This girl has been there for me whenever I’ve needed her.  Many times when I have felt lonely she would just come over and we would sit down and watch a movie together.  She wouldn’t even have to say anything, just her being there made me feel better. 

Another ingredient for my friend is happiness.  Rarely have I seen her sad or upset about something.  Her bubbly character is always so delightful to be around.  When she is having a hard time she tries not to let it show because she loves making other people happy as well.  My junior year of high school our cheer squad didn’t make it past preliminaries at Nationals even though we had gotten 3rd place the year before.  We all had a good cry, but after that Lynsie was as optimistic as ever and made the rest of our vacation a blast.  She said, “At least we don’t have to compete tomorrow!  We have all day to play!”  Disneyworld is a great place to overcome disappointment, especially with one’s best friends. 

Humor belongs in the recipe as well.  She is so funny.  Quoting movie lines at the most opportune moments is one of her specialties.  Lines from The Office, Tommy Boy, and Elf are some of her favorites.  She is also really good at teasing; she is not harsh at all but knows right where to get you so that you laugh just as hard as she does.  One day I was having a really hard time speaking for no good reason.  She could not stop laughing.  After she mimicked me I realized just how stupid I probably sounded and just laughed right along with her.

This friend is also extremely creative.  She has made many many blankets including rag quilts (which are very difficult and time consuming).  When we were younger we would make collages out of pictures from magazines.  Somehow she would end up with the best pages from the magazines and create the best collages out of all of ours.  At school last year (in her dorm room at Utah State) she made a wall-size calendar every month out of cardstock.  I honestly don’t understand how she made something so creative and cute out of plain paper.  She never ceases to amaze me when it come to creativity.

First, mix kindness and happiness.  Stir for five minutes.  Slowly add in humor.  Once humor is completely blended add a dash of creativity.  Mix well and voi la!  Best friend.

Now someone like a best friend can’t be described in just a few simple words.  Best friends are much more than that.  There is an X factor connection that you just don’t feel with anyone else, no one that you want to be with more than that person.  I am grateful to have such a good friend to care about and who cares about me.


502 words

3 comments:

  1. I liked that part about the movie quotes. I think that is one of everyone's favorite things. I liked the movies that you guys qoute, you have good taste.

    Good call about the X factor as well. I don't know what you would call that, but every special friend has that connection that you don't feel anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would avoid saying something like "she is so funny" right after you talk about the need for humor. It would be better to explain how she is funny because stating it is an understatement. I like the stories you added such as your cheer squad not making it to preliminaries and also the story of her mimicking you, if shows her personality in a range of different situations and builds the description of her

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that this was a different take on the recipe. It was more essay than technicalities, which of course I commend :) There is also good examples within the piece that interested me. You superceded personal experiences with Lynsie into the recipe instead of making them generic. That was cool.
    One thing that confused me was having the directions within the paragraphs. More like fulfilling the prompt instead of letting go to write. I feel if you using the directions as headings and then described her traits it would work more effiecently. (Ex: Once humor is completely blended, add a dash of creativity: My friend...) Also. it's viola, haha.
    Thanks for this Whitney! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete