Friday, September 4, 2009

Weel 1, Prompt B

There are so many interesting people on this Earth. So many different walks of life, so many different stories. A man on his cell phone, arranging a business transaction. A woman pushing a stroller with an innocent child tucked safely inside. A group speaking a foreign language on their way to lunch. A lost girl, searching for her assigned destination. And me, sitting, taking in the sunshine and perfect breeze. I ask myself, what are we all doing here? But then the bells chime and class is about to start. I rush to my seat and prepare to be enlightened.

The screen fills with images and clips of new, exciting adventures ready to unfold. Action heros saving the world. A gorgeous couple finding true love. A soccer team beating all odds. My head spins with all the excitment in these new adventures. So many more stories to learn from, so many characters to become attatched to. But then our adventure begins. And my mind rushes to the present and I watch a lovely tale.

Maybe that is why we are all here. To wait, and then to rush. Human nature causes us to want something more, to want something bigger and better. To get those things, we must wait. We wait for answers to horrible problems. We wait for more money. We wait in the line for food. We wait to do our responsibilities. We wait for oppourtunities. We wait at the stop light. And then we rush. We rush to solve the problems. We rush to spend the money. We rush to eat. We rush to complete tasks. We rush to our oppourtunities. We rush through the light to our final destination. All this waiting and rushing. So, I wait here for something to come along and ignite my imagination. And soon, I will rush to embrace it.

Lilly Pyle

1 hour

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun essay Lilly. I really like your ideas of enjoying things for a moment because that's how I feel a lot of the time. Like I am running around endlessly between exciting things. Your first paragraph has a few rough sentences that are awkward to read. I also think your paragraphs are good but they do not connect very well. Other then that well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the topic of your essay. It is so true that we spend a lot of time waiting or rushing. It seems there is never just a perfect pace to things. You centered on the point really well.

    ReplyDelete