Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 4 Prompt A:1

My favorite movie is V for Vendetta, based on the graphic novel of the same name. I have seen a lot of movies. It's sort of my thing. V for Vendetta sends them all packing in my top movie list. It stands above the rest of the movies I have seen for one simple reason. Plot. The plot in V is superb. It drew me in and didn't release me until the movie ended. I loved it so much that I watched it everyday for two weeks. Supplementing the story, James McTeigue gathered an array of high caliber actors such as Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea, and Stephen Fry. These actors embody the characters that they were assigned to portray. I first saw this movie two years ago on the fifth of November (an important date in the movie.) After that, I was hooked. The dialogue was so compelling that I had no choice to watch it over and over and over again. When introducing the main character of V, his opening dialogue is this "But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace soubriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voila! In view humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the “vox populi” now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.
"The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
Verily this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V." Yes, you may think this is long, but Hugo Weaving's execution of this line is marvelous.

The word that comes to mind when thinking of this movie is "vendetta." McTeigue puts this word everywhere. The movie is filled with an actual vendetta, or as Oxford Dictionary defines "A family blood-feud,usually as a hereditary character. This word has a deep, rich history going back for centuries. There have actually been such extreme cases where entire villages were razed to the ground just to kill one girl. Vendettas usually occurred in societies where family units held power in the country, like Italy or Arab cultures. Vendetta is a ruthless word that doesn't give mercy to anyone who stands in its way. It is soaked in ageless blood and is always seeking more to quench its never ending thirst. It sees everyone outside of the "victims" family as fair prey.
47 minutes

6 comments:

  1. I will have to give this film a second go. I saw it once in theaters and I haven't revisited it. Sounds like I have a pleasant surprise waiting for me. Your description of what a vendetta is was excellent. The comment about the little girl really showed the spirit of a vendetta. There is a chapter in the Count of Monte Cristo entitled "The Vendetta" if I am not mistaken. If you liked this you would love the novel.

    "Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things"-Winston Churchill I thought I would use a quote to open my criticism of your huge quote. I know you love the movie, but you lose all of us in this monster quote. Yeah it is cool but it dominates your whole post. You said you loved the plot but you said absolutely nothing about it. If I had to tell you what I know about your favorite movie based on your post, I would tell you it was something like Hamlet, alot of soliloquy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite movie as well! It is fantastic with all the allusions. My favorite dialogue is also the one you mentioned. Holy cow the writers of this movie were brilliant. My favorite part of the movie is when she is on the top of the building after coming out of the prison. All the flash backs and the emotion that is in that. Wow, it makes me cry every time. I love reading your writing as well thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to mention we should have a guy fawkes party!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come, even though I bashed the quote...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll think about it! I mean you bashed on my favorite movie where they told you never to forget Guy Fawkes Day. Remember, Remember the 5th of November. The gun powder treason and plot. The is no reason this day should ever be forgot. Mike probably knows that better than me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really interested as to where this conversation will actually end up. And yes, I think a Guy Fawkes Day party would be splendid.

    ReplyDelete